Tuesday, June 14, 2011

For the love of Benjamin...

Second carryover post from old blog...

...Franklin, that is.   Money.  That is today's topic.  People will often say, "money is the root of evil."  This is actually a mis-quote.  Money can be used for much good, and money is actually a nessecity.  Without money, how do we become independent citizens, feed our children, find a place to live, run hospitals, or give to those without?  No, money is not the root of evil.  The phrase is actually a verse from the Bible that goes, "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil."   In other words, greed.  Also note that it is not the root of ALL evil, but "all kinds of evil". 

Not every evil is driven by the love of money, but there are many kinds that are.  It is often the love of mooney that drives people to steal, to cheat on their taxes, to step on the little person, even to kill.  There is nothing wrong with wanting to have more money.  I would like to have more money myself so that I may provide a better life for my children one day than I had.  I would like to have more money so that I could help my parents and my sister and brother-in-law when times are tough for them.  And yes, I would even like more money so that I may have more fun myself.

Here is the difference, I am still content with what I have, and work with what I have.  I am not so consumed by money that it becomes the complete or overwhelming object in my life.  Yes, at times it is at the front of my mind more than others, especially right now as I have a few large expenses coming up.  I do not allow money to drive a wedge between me and the ones I love.  If I am owed a debt by somebody, and they are making efforts to pay it off, even if very slowly, I recognize that effort and work with them. 

You cannot expect for somebody that owes you a few thousand dollars but makes just over minimum wage to be able to pay you back quickly.  And you should trust that person to pay you back if they have shown in the past that they work towards that goal of paying you back, however slowly they do.  This is especially true for close family.  Family and relationship is so much more important than money.  On their deathbed, nobody wishes to count their gold coins one more time, or to balance their checkbook again, or revel in their success on Wall Street.  They want people by their side that they care about and that cares about them.  So look at it through a lens of compassion and love, not of greed.  Because this side of forever is so short, and on the other side of forever, money doesn't matter, because you can't take it with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment