More after the jump.
Dads do all this and more. And they do it all in a way that mom's simply don't know how. Don't get me wrong, moms are just as important as dads, and there are many single moms out there doing the best they can without a dad in the picture through no fault of their own. Not every father is a good father either, but it is a good father that makes a world of difference in the life of a child. Here are some statistics I found on the importance of a good father to give you an idea.
- 63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Bureau of the Census)
- 71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes (National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools.)
- 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes (U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept 1988)
- Boys who grow up in father-absent homes are more likely that those in father-present homes to have trouble establishing appropriate sex roles and gender identity.(P.L. Adams, J.R. Milner, and N.A. Schrepf, Fatherless Children, New York, Wiley Press, 1984).
- Children from low-income, two-parent families outperform students from high-income, single-parent homes. Almost twice as many high achievers come from two-parent homes as one-parent homes. (One-Parent Families and Their Children, Charles F. Kettering Foundation, 1990).
- The likelihood that a young male will engage in criminal activity doubles if he is raised without a father and triples if he lives in a neighborhood with a high concentration of single-parent families. Source: A. Anne Hill, June O'Neill, Underclass Behaviors in the United States, CUNY, Baruch College. 1993
I have a lot of fond memories of my dad growing up. I don't get to see him very much anymore since we live several states apart now, but I do still enjoy seeing him. So on this Father's Day, I'll just say thanks Dad. I love you, and I hope you have a wonderful day just for you!
All photos in this post are © Joseph Rudin Photography
Now for some comedy. My church showed us this video during the service. It was originally made by a church in Tulsa in 2010, and now I'm passing it on to you. Enjoy!